Simple website to study and review kanji, the adopted Chinese characters that are used in the Japanese writing system. It started out as a personal project to help me review kanji in a systematic way with the following aims:
- review kanji with a pace of several kanji a day
- instantly view the most used words
- view those words in context with a couple of key example sentences
The key features of this website:
- Simple: no unnecessary information. No dictionary numbers, radicals or other data that clutters your brain. I believe that what you need to achieve is to recognize the characters in an instant, not a complete data set.
- Context: every kanji page gives a list of useful words and sentences so you can easily review the context of the character. This is how you will be tested on the JLPT exam, not on the character itself.
- Integrate with tools you already use: use twitter to follow the JLPT level that you are reviewing
- 100% free: no paid services, no unnecessary downloads.
First version: August 2011
Last update to the system: October 2021
This site uses the EDICT and KANJIDIC dictionary files. These files are the property of the Electronic Dictionary Research and Development Group, and are used in conformance with the Group’s licence. In addition, I have used my own example sentences.
Feel free to contact me through info AT kanjireview com. Keep in mind that this is a side project and it could take a while before I am able to get back to you.